Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Every Day in September 2016, #28 - Environments and Habitats - TIDE POOL

EDiS – Environments/Habitats - #28 - “Rock/Tide Pool”
In 1972 I was wrestling with a choice. After getting out of the military, I could go back to Washington state, enroll in the community of Dale Chihuly's Pilchuck School in the foothills of the Cascades and become an artist in the burgeoning Seattle glassblowing community. Or I could continue with my plans to marry the man I'd met in the Marine Corps. In retrospect, the life with the gypsys and crazies blowing glass in the woods at Pilchuck may have been the wiser choice. But then, I wouldn't have Genna (and Gracie and Charlie), nor would I have the remaining family, and dear friends, my time living in Michigan, and teaching art in Rockford, gave me. But, had I joined the merry band of glassblowers, I would have learned to make art which creates the beauty of nature using only brilliant hot glass, a confident touch and the breath of the body, such as this representation of the colorful creatures floating in a Puget Sound tidepool.

No comments:

Post a Comment