Tuesday, February 9, 2016

EDiF#9, 2016, traveling to HUNGARY


EDiF #09 – Hungary
I traded in my EDiF ticket to Greenland for one going to Hungary, instead, hoping to join up with the Group C Itinerary people. Hungary is the country of my father's family's roots. Nagymama and Grandpa grew up in Budapest, in the shadow of Buda Castle. They met, fell in love and eloped (I wish I knew the backstory THERE), then emigrated to Cleveland, Ohio. I especially wish I knew more of their story as Nagymama was a “princess” and Grampa was a poop, albeit a very dashing, intelligent and handsome, poop.
These are examples of very colorful and exuberant Hungarian apparel. I cannot imagine either of my grandparents, under any circumstances, ever wearing them. Nagymama would have been in satin and diamonds (all right, maybe not diamonds, but very good rhinestones and crystals), and Grandpa (the Napoleonic engineer) in a suit with a watch fob, his mustache neatly trimmed, smelling of pipe tobacco.


No comments:

Post a Comment