Monday, June 10, 2013

Evolution of "CROW STEALS THE EYE OF THE GOD"

The Artists of South Whidbey group is having their Annual Art show and sale at the Fiargrounds next month and for it tomorrow I have to have a painting to put in the Silent Auction. As of Friday morning it was only a glimmer of an idea in my imagination. I didn't work on it on Friday because I was at Sketcher Barbara's house have a grand time at our First Annual Sleepover Pajama Party. 
And I didn't work on it Saturday night because I went with Sketcher Susan to "Star Trek - into Darkness" and for pizza. 

I'm glad I had all that fun before, because Saturday night I came down with my yearly spring head cold and was down for the count. Sunday I climbed into my ratty old bathrobe with a box of Kleenex and two bags of cough drops and started to bring the painting out of my head and onto paper. I began at 7AM and finished at 11PM, with a couple of breaks, a meeting with the new yard crew and the Tony Awards in there somewhere. Finishing touches and a new box of Kleenex this morning, and it is ready to go (or at least as ready as it is going to get).

Here is the evolution of the painting.
 Rough Draft, layout.
 The crow masked out with Peabo.
 The wet into wet wash of the pebbles.
 Starting the painting of the negative spaces around the pebbles.
 Laying in the first wash layers on the crow. I under-painted the iridescent areas with New Gamboge, then a layer of cobalt Teal, then a layer of Opera Pink. Sounds crazy, but that's how you get the glow. 
Added the marble, after agonizing about what color it should be. I finally settled on electric green for contrast with the pebbles. 
Here is the final (I think) result, after tweaking. I think it is done, but I could be wrong. It is now a multi-media piece because I picked out areas of highlight on the pebbles with watercolor pencils. No black or brown ink though!

"CROW STEALS THE EYE OF THE GOD" - image size 7 x 10, mat 11 x 14, 
mixed media original
It will be for sale at the Artists of South Whidbey sale auction, July 26-28. Minimum bid $35, final bid 1:00 PM, July 28

No comments:

Post a Comment