Saturday, August 3, 2013

@ SHAREN'S KOZY KROW'S NEST

A couple of years ago Sharen and Simon moved from their incredible "Big House" up First Street to their new "digs" down towards town a bit. Since then I have been fascinated with all the things you could see happening on the outside, as well as hints of the things happening inside (on her "I Love Langley" blog). Yesterday I finally got to see them all up close, first hand, because of their invitation for the Whidbey Island Sketchers to pay a call. I was greeted, right off the bat, by two of Sharen's "neighbors", sitting out on a wire in front of the house, waiting for a treat.
There is NO WAY to describe all the wonderful things there were to see and draw when we entered the house and yard. 
Sharen's House - photo borrowed from her "I Love Langley" blog
I wanted to sketch their famous enamelware "garden" so badly that I sat outside with no coat, in the middle of the first rain in 40 days, just to capture it. 
It was chilly, but delightful -- and musical! Crows were "talking" all around me, songbirds were singing, big drops of rainwater were plop, plopping over my head on the canvas umbrella, little drops were plink, plink, plinking into enamel cups and bowls and into gathering puddles. The air smelled fresh, clean and green (rather than hot, dry and dusty!)
When I was finally, completely chilled through, I moved inside to where everyone else was hunkered down around a crackly fire. Sharen was in the kitchen with Sheryl, cooking wonderful things. It REALLY smelled good in there! 
Everywhere you look in the Heath Home there are colorful, eclectic and fascinating things to admire and draw.
at Sharen's House - photo borrowed from her "I Love Langley" blog
at Sharen's House - photo borrowed from her "I Love Langley" blog
at Sharen's House - photo borrowed from her "I Love Langley" blog 
at Sharen's House - photo borrowed from her "I Love Langley" blog
Sharen took us down into their new "Bed and Breakfast Guest Rooms". Wow! What a delightful place to stay for a weekend! I was thrilled to find a gicleĆ© print of my newest Crow painting in a place of honor in the bedroom! 
Sharen and Simon own three of my pieces ("Boy and Dog" is actually the first piece I ever sold when I got to Langley and started "making art"!)
 Also framed and on their wall, is a print of the "Star Store Shed",
 the original of which I sold to their friend/neighbor. Being in Simon and Sharen's home makes me feel like they are "my patrons" and I am "collected"!!
 I absolutely adore all of their "beloved clutter". It is MY kind of decorating. I could move in in a heartbeat!!
This is my finished sketch of the enamelware in their "Hokey Pokey - Turn Yourself Around" garden. 
 These are just a couple of the metal "flatty crows" tucked all over the grounds, and just one of the dozens of rustic birdhouses.
Thank you Sharen and Simon, for the fantastic day! You are the BEST!!

No comments:

Post a Comment