Friday, July 19, 2013

A DAY WITH THE BIRDS!

We Sketchers get to do the most amazing things! Today I went somewhere with the group I had absolutely no idea existed. Tucked way Way WAY back in the deep woods, in a meadow clearing is Susan's Aviary, a facility for rescued parrots, macaws, cockatoos and cockatiels. It is essentially a huge cage where over 50 birds fly free. They are almost all very friendly, tame and crave attention from the people who are lucky enough to get to come visit them. 
Susan welcomed us, told us the story of the aviary, gave us a few rules, and let us in through the airlock to be greeted by its inhabitants. Almost the moment we entered we were covered in friendly, curious birds who wanted to be part of our sketching action. They screeched and whistled, sat on our heads, grabbed our pencils, worked over our sketchbooks, competed for our attention, and really put on a show for us.

 Barbara hit it right on the head when she said it was like being in a room full of toddlers. 
I was totally entranced. I could have stayed there for hours longer - in fact I was the last to leave.
My models were captivating. Brutus, the pink Cockatoo, must have spent his whole pre-Aviary life in constant company of a short wave or CB radio - he talks just like one. And he screeches and hollers, and says "good boy" and "pretty bird". 
Sunday, the Yellow Crested Cockatiel was also a screamer, but she was so endearing - cuddling and putting her head against my chest and sort of purring. 
"A Selfie with Sunday!"
Frostbite, the Macaw, lost her toes as a result of a tragic accident during our freak blizzard two years ago, but their loss hasn't slowed her down. She stumps around very confidently. 

The little brightly colored Sun Conures flocked to us, sitting on our heads, walking up our arms, hanging on our pants. They were WONDERFUL (if noisy)!


The rest of the birds were just as colorful, just as much fun. In fact, I was pretty sure Susan and her crew were going to have to drag me out by force. 

I am no fool, though. I know that parrots can live 80-100 years, and that they require an immense amount of care and work. Which is why I did not leave with one. I WILL, however, make a return visit very soon to sit with them, talk to them and just generally enjoy them.
I did get a sketch done, but barely. All I wanted to do was play with the birdies!

No comments:

Post a Comment