Saturday, February 3, 2018

EDiF2018 - PNW "F" #3 - FLIGHT

Every Day in February - "F" #3 - FLIGHT
Seattle, Washington, is the home of the Boeing Aircraft Company. Right across Puget Sound from me is Everett, and Paine Field, where Boeing makes very large aircraft in the largest building in the world (almost 100 acres). This huge plant is where 747, 767, 777, and 787 airplanes are assembled. Fuselages for the planes are made in Wichita, Kansas, and brought back to Everett for assembly and finishing. The aircraft bodies are flown inside the 747 Dreamlifter, one of the largest aircraft in the world. Each wing is a football field long.
I have, on a couple of occasions, looked out my south facing window just in time to see one of these behemoths lumber across the sky in front of me on its way to land at Paine field. I don’t understand how something so huge can fly. Yes I understand thrust, propulsion and lift. But FLIGHT, for something of this size, just doesn’t seem possible.




No comments:

Post a Comment